The primary purpose of this position is to assist the Labor Relations and Human Resources Department in union related matters, in both union and non-union settings. This includes the administration of collective bargaining agreements, grievance investigations, collective bargaining and arbitration preparation, preliminary responses to unfair labor practice charges and union awareness training. Frequent independent judgments are essential. The incumbent is also required to perform all tasks in observance of Rite Aid’s brand and strategy and adhere to our core values and service attributes.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The associate is responsible for the functions below, in addition to other duties as assigned:
- Manage administration of existing collective bargaining agreements, respond to Union requests for information, and advise Human Resources, store and field management on labor-related issues, including the interpretation and enforcement of existing labor agreements
- Provide support to field and store management with regard to grievances; and to in-house and outside counsel for arbitrations and NLRB matters; to include the investigation of grievances, coordinate and preside over grievance hearings, draft grievance responses, and engage in grievance settlement negotiations and draft settlement agreements (under the supervision of legal counsel).
- Prepare materials and conduct training for field and store management on Union Awareness/Campaigns and contract administration /managing in a union environment
- Manage preparation for collective bargaining, including partnering with field leadership and corporate support for development of contract proposals, analysis of existing contract clauses, and prepare preliminary recommendations for contract changes through the drafting of proposed contract language.
- Meet with union representatives regarding day-to-day labor relations matters.
- Provide support for union avoidance and union organizing campaigns, under the supervision of counsel, including working with field and store management on communications and assisting with elections and other Board-related matters.
- Coordinate the implementation and execution of contract and grievance settlement agreements to include instructions for payroll and benefits departments on contract or settlement administration
- Provide support for responding to unfair labor practice charges
- Compose letters, memos and reports and distribute as necessary
Experience / Requirements
- Experience in a a union environment or doing union work required
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Arts/Sciences (BA/BS) Business, Law, Human Resources, Labor Relations, Industrial Relations or related field required